Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have a question about the Content Creator Awards? We have the answer(s).
If you can’t find the answer to your question, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
There are 24 categories.
Each category will be judged by the best in the business, from content creators, to marketers, to brand managers, to creative directors. Some of the judges or MCs might have entered categories themselves, but they will not be able to vote for work submitted in that particular category. Please refer to the list of judges here
Our judges are looking for the content that stands out the most. It could be clever, or creative, or well shot, or unique or just damn brilliant. They’ll be looking at its engagement and shares, but it doesn’t need to be the most widely shared or the most engaged with, as all entrants have a different follower base. Please refer to the judging criteria for each specific category.
- All nominees will be selected by a panel of judges.
- The judges will score the entries and the top entries will become the nominees in that category (maximum 5 nominees per category).
- Once the nominees in each category have been announced, ten of those categories will open to the public for voting, which will garner huge reach.
- The public will be directed to the Content Creator Awards website where the nominees in each of the public voting categories will be listed, with a link to their
entry housed on their own social media platforms.
- You will be allowed to vote once per category.
- The 8 categories that go out for public voting are:
1. Sol Best Content Creator Award
2. Thumb-stopping Award.
3. Content of the Year award, Presented by DStv
4. Netwerk24 Smaakmaker
5. Cause Award
6. Kasi Content Creator Award
7. Comedy award
8. Alter Ego Award
The remaining awards are not for public voting.
Entries open: 19 April 2022.
Kasi Content Creator Skill Sharing Day in Khayelitsha: 23 May 2022.
Registrations close: 10 July 2022.
Nominee Announcement event: 21 July 2022
Voting opens for the 10 awards that go out for public vote: 21 July 2022
Public voting closes: Midnight 25 August 2022
Main awards event: 10 September 2022.
This is a special award for emerging talent, aimed at benefiting underserved communities. The focus
is on helping undiscovered, potential content creators, marketers, influencers, and people wanting to
build a career/income using social media as a platform, (potential influencers, for example) by
teaching them how to develop content and assets for brands, agencies, and the like.
Each year, as a build-up event, the awards host a skill-sharing day called The Kasi Marketing Lab,
which is streamed live nationally, so that everyone can learn the tricks and tips of the trade from the
experts. This year’s Kasi Marketing Lab was held in Khayelitsha on 23 May 2022.
The panel of speakers included:
- Overcoming the roadblocks facing township entrepreneurs: Luvuyo Rani, CEO, and co-founder of
- The power of storytelling in content creation: Thabisa Mkhwanazi, Executive Head of Marketing,
- Multichoice Talent Factory: Mphile Shabalala & Smash Afrika.
- How to create amazing content: Content creators, Omar Morto and Moghelingz.
- How to Market and PR Yourself: Bukelwa Monqo, Director at Atmosphere Communications.
- Coming up with the Big Idea: Cameron Naidoo, Chief Rule Breaker of Guerilla Africa.
- Influencer Marketing: Data and Tools. Brett Solomon, Chief of Brand at Humanz.
- Influencer Relations 101: Natasha Goosen, Kwazi Ngubane and Darren Sandras, One-eyed Jack.
- How to use TikTok to drive your growth as a digital creator: Carla Harris, Partnerships Lead,
TikTok South Africa.
There are 20 mentorship opportunities available with a business mentorship initiative from Entrepreneurs’ Organization Cape Town.
Most award events give out trophies and that’s ok, but we like to do things a little differently here.
Each winner will receive R5,000 worth of prizes. The prizes are VERY cool. Like photographic equipment, flights, hotel stays, fine dining dinners, cash, etc. We’ll announce the full prize list a little closer to the date of the awards.
The trophy: This isn’t just any trophy. It’s being created by Durban born graffiti artist Shaun Oakley: That Damn Vandal. Keep your eyes open for teasers of what it’s going to look like.
The awards event: If you’re nominated, the night’s on us. Prepare to be wowed!
Link to your entry: All content will be viewed from your platform, so we’ll drive fans to your pages to grow your community.
As it’s the first year, entries can be submitted from March 2020 to 10 July 2022. Thereafter it’ll be from June to June year-on-year.
The founders of the awards won’t enter their campaigns, but if you’re involved in some way (an MC, a designer, an ambassador, part of the production crew, etc), you’re welcome to enter, as long as you’re not entering work that you’ve created for the awards. There will be no conflict of interest, as when it comes to the judging process, no judge will be able to vote for any category that they’re even remotely associated with.
These highly-regarded accolades are exclusively awarded to creators of exemplary content, whether you’re a professional content creator, or if you’re just a regular person who has created something so great that it’s gone viral. For this year, you need to be South African and live in South Africa for most of the year. We’ll expand into Africa in a couple of years, watch this space…